by Brian Salesky, Executive Director and Conductor
Knoxville Opera will be celebrating and performing music and drama inspired by the world’s most famous star-crossed lovers throughout January and February and you are invited to luxuriate in the romance! The highlight of this celebration is our Valentine’s weekend production of Gounod’s lush French grand opera Romeo & Juliette at the Tennessee Theatre. On February 10th and 12th rising stars Zulimar López-Hernández and Noah Stewart will both excite and break your heart at the ball, on the balcony, in the bedroom and on the bier. Metropolitan Opera bass Andrew Wentzel, in the role of Friar Laurence, will officiate their onstage wedding. Tickets are selling fast, so I encourage you to purchase yours as soon as possible!
Here are additional opportunities for you and our entire community to revel in the glorious music inspired by Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet:
- January 6 – March 4 Shakespeare in Music & Art Exhibit at the Knoxville Museum of Art.
- January 10 – 19 14 performances of an abbreviated English version of Gounod’s Romeo & Juliette opera for 12,500 students in grades 4-8 at Knox County middle schools.
- January 16 6:00 Knoxville Opera Guild’s Monday Night Opera dinner concert at Echo Bistro & Wine Bar on Kingston Pike featuring the artists of our school production in scenes from the opera and West Side Story.
- January 19 7:30 Heavenly Opera concert at Church of the Ascension on Northshore Drive featuring the principal stars of our Romeo & Juliette production in selections from Romeo & Juliette, Otello, West Side Story, Tosca, Manon, Cavalleria Rusticana, Susannah, Beatrice di Tenda, Le Cid, The Siege of Corinth, Moses in Egypt and Maria Stuarda!
- January 21 4:30 African-American Voices: Noah Stewart in Song and Conversation at the UT Black Cultural Center, 1800 Melrose Avenue (free parking).
- January 22 3:00 Oak Ridge Community Concert at the Oak Ridge High School Performing Arts Center featuring the principal stars of our Romeo & Juliette production and the Oak Ridge Chorus in selections from Romeo & Juliette, West Side Story, Carmen, Tosca, The Marriage of Figaro, Cavalleria Rusticana, Le Cid and The Siege of Corinth!
- February 8 6:30 Romeo & Juliette Student Dress Rehearsal at the Tennessee Theatre. The final rehearsal of the opera is open to all students free of charge thanks to the generosity of Comcast.
- February 11 5:30 Dark Lady Night on the stage of the Tennessee Theatre. A unique, romantic Valentine dinner concert on the set of Romeo & Juliette featuring music from Romeo & Juliette, Otello, Falstaff, West Side Story and Kiss Me Kate.
- February 12 2:30 Romeo & Juliette performance at the Tennessee Theatre. A limited number of free student tickets are available to public high school students upon request from Knox County public high school teachers.
For more information and tickets to these events please call (865) 524-0795 ext. 1.