Education/Outreach Programs for the 2012-2013 Season.
The above was featured on ABC’s Spirit of East Tennessee on March 7th, 2013
The above was featured on NBC’s broadcast on LiveAtFive@4 in Knoxville last season
Click to view a sample of last season’s Shakespeare Project!
- Knoxville Opera broke new ground by serving our community with free in-school performances of Gounod’s Romeo & Juliette enthusiastically applauded by 12,500 students
- 2,000 students attended our dress rehearsals at the Tennessee Theatre free of charge
- Over 125,000 patrons of all ages enjoyed our robust Education/Outreach Program
This season please help
- present a free-admission production of Rossini’s Cinderella in 35 Knox County schools
- support our $150,000 Education/Outreach Program enabling students and adults to enjoy:
- July-Sep. Opera 101 performances in 11 Knox County Boys & Girls Clubs
- July 19 Opera 101 for Kids at Risk Program at Public Defender’s Office
- Sep. 6 Opera Season Preview Concert at Blount County Public Library
- Sep. 10-19 Opera 101 performances in 6 Knox County Public Schools
- Sep. 23 Opera Preview concert for Cancer Support Community of East TN
- Sep. 30 Knoxville Opera Goes to Church gospel/opera concert, televised on East TN PBS, at Greater Warner Tabernacle A.M.E. Zion Church
- Oct. 14 Tellico Village/Rarity Bay Community Concert at Tellico Village Yacht Club
- Oct. 24 Die Fledermaus Student Dress Rehearsal at Tennessee Theatre (in English)
- Nov. 12-30 Opera 101 performances in 10 Knox County Public Schools
- Jan. 5 The Metropolitan Opera Regional auditions at UT’s Cox Auditorium
- Jan. 13 Oak Ridge Community Concert at Oak Ridge High School Perf. Arts Center
- Feb. 6 The Girl of the Golden West Student Dress Rehearsal at Tennessee Theatre
- Feb.19-Mar.8 Cinderella (in English) in 30 Knox County elementary and middle schools
- Apr. 13 African-American Voices: An intimate conversation with tenor Michael Dailey
- Apr. 24 Cinderella Student Dress Rehearsal at Tennessee Theatre (in English)
- Apr. 27 800 performers in 50 performances at Rossini Festival International Street Fair
Also, a limited number of free tickets will be given to Knox County public school students to:
- Oct. 28 Die Fledermaus performance at Tennessee Theatre
- Feb. 10 The Girl of the Golden West performance at Tennessee Theatre
Knoxville Opera is most grateful to the following sponsors of our Knox County Public Schools Education Programs:
TENNESSEE ARTS COMMISSION, PILOT FLYING J, KNOX COUNTY, REGAL ENTERTAINMENT, WELLS FARGO ADVISORS, HOME FEDERAL BANK, ARTS & HERITAGE FUND, CLAYTON FOUNDATION, SWANN ENDOWMENT, FIRST TN FOUNDATION, ROTARY CLUB OF KNOXVILLE, NATIONAL ENDOWMENT FOR THE ARTS, AKIMA CLUB
Education & Outreach Program
BRING Knoxville Opera to your school or organization!
. . . is an entertaining education and outreach program for student and adult groups. Starting with popular selections in English from 20th Century Broadway musicals, the presentation weaves its way back through musical theater history to great opera and operetta classics. Each concludes with a lively question and answer session, giving participants an opportunity to interact with the performers. Repertoire can be “themed” at your request. These programs are performed by vocal artists from the distinguished Knoxville Opera Studio under the direction of Maestro Salesky.
The Magic of Opera
. . . is a series of engaging multi-media seminars with Maestro Salesky. Student and adult groups can choose from a variety of themes (popular operas and singers, producing opera from A to Z, celebrating the best of opera, etc.) or create their own.
Click here to request a reservation form!
FREE Student Dress Rehearsals
WATCH the magic unfold!
. . . are you a student? We invite any and all students to attend one of our designated Student Dress Rehearsals at the Tennessee Theatre for FREE. These rehearsals are overwhelming experiences of live full-length and fully staged performances. Riveting drama and passionate music will transport you to places you have never dreamed possible! Don’t speak Italian or French? Don’t worry! While we perform many of our operas in foreign languages, we also project English translations of all the action above the stage, so you won’t miss a moment. You don’t need to do anything but show up to the theater the evening of the scheduled rehearsal. Teachers, students and their families are welcome to attend. Bring your student I.D. and come watch the magic unfold!
2012-2013 Season Student Dress Rehearsal Schedule (Free for all students thanks to the generosity of Comcast; accompanying adults are $5 at the door). Enter Tennessee Theatre through Gay Street entrance beginning at 5:30pm. Open seating, concession is closed for dress rehearsals
Die Fledermaus – Wednesday, October 24, 2012 @ 6:30 pm
The Girl of the Golden West – Wednesday, February 6, 2013 @ 6:30 pm
Cinderella – Wednesday, April 24, 2013 @ 6:30 pm
Voted the city’s “Best Festival”
One of the Southeast’s most alluring cultural attractions, Knoxville Opera’s Rossini Festival International Street Fair brings a taste of Europe to East Tennessee and celebrates the color, fun and excitement of opera and International culture.
The festival combines world class opera performances, art and craft exhibitions, wine tasting and a wide variety of other events with a vibrant International Street Fair.
Downtown Knoxville’s Gay Street is transformed from a busy thoroughfare to a colorful Italian festival with four stages featuring a range of entertainment options, an upscale Artisan’s Market, the smells and tastes of authentic Mediterranean foods and beverages and a special children’s area on Market Square with entertainment, fun and games.
This extraordinary event also presents a golden opportunity to attend one of our professional productions Knoxville Opera.