Education/Outreach Programs for the 2013-2014 Season.
The above was featured on ABC’s Spirit of East Tennessee on March 7th, 2013
The above was featured on NBC’s broadcast on LiveAtFive@4
Click to view a sample of The Shakespeare Project!
- Knoxville Opera broke new ground by serving our community with free in-school performances of Gounod’s Romeo & Juliette and Rossini’s Cinderella enthusiastically applauded by 22,000 students
- 3,000 students attended our dress rehearsals at the Tennessee Theatre free of charge
- Over 145,000 patrons of all ages enjoyed our robust Education/Outreach Program
This season please help
- present a free-admission production of Donizetti’s The Elixir of Love in 35 Knox County schools
- support our $150,000 Education/Outreach Program enabling students and adults to enjoy:
- Jul.-Sep. Opera 101 performances in 11 Knox County Boys & Girls Clubs
- Jul. 3 – 25 The Magic of Opera in Boys & Girls Clubs (free admission)
- Jul. 31 @ 11:00 The Magic of Opera at Children’s Museum of Oak Ridge
- Aug. 29 @ 7:00 Knoxville Opera Community Concert at Blount County Library (free)
- Sep. 4 – 20 Opera 101 performances in Knox County schools (free admission)
- Sep. 25 @ 6:15 The Magic of Opera mini-concert at Knoxville Cancer Support Community
- Oct. 6 @ 5:00 Knoxville Opera Goes to Church…A Celebration of Talent! (free)
- Oct. 23 @ 6:30 The Tales of Hoffmann Dress Rehearsal (free to students)
- Nov. 2 Knoxville Opera Guild Opera Ball featuring Maria Aleida
- Nov. 12 – 21 Opera 101 performances in Knox County schools (free admission)
- Jan. 7 – 14 The Elixir of Love (in English) in Knox County schools (free admission)
- Feb. 12 @ 6:30 The Elixir of Love Dress Rehearsal (free to students)
- Apr. 9 @ 6:30 Norma Dress Rehearsal (free admission to students)
- Apr. 12 @ 11-9 Knoxville Opera Rossini Festival International Street Fair (free admission)
Knoxville Opera is most grateful to the following sponsors of our Knox County Public Schools Education Programs:
TENNESSEE ARTS COMMISSION, ASLAN FOUNDATION, PILOT/FLYING J, KNOX COUNTY, REGAL ENTERTAINMENT GROUP, WELLS FARGO ADVISORS, HOME FEDERAL BANK, ARTS & HERITAGE FUND, CLAYTON FOUNDATION, SWANN ENDOWMENT, FIRST TN FOUNDATION, ROTARY CLUB OF KNOXVILLE, NATIONAL ENDOWMENT FOR THE ARTS, AKIMA CLUB
Education & Outreach Program
BRING Knoxville Opera to your school or organization!
. . . is an entertaining education and outreach program for student and adult groups. Starting with popular selections in English from 20th Century Broadway musicals, the presentation weaves its way back through musical theater history to great opera and operetta classics. Each concludes with a lively question and answer session, giving participants an opportunity to interact with the performers. Repertoire can be “themed” at your request. These programs are performed by vocal artists from the distinguished Knoxville Opera Studio under the direction of Maestro Salesky.
The Magic of Opera
. . . is a series of engaging multi-media seminars with Maestro Salesky. Student and adult groups can choose from a variety of themes (popular operas and singers, producing opera from A to Z, celebrating the best of opera, etc.) or create their own.
Click here to request a reservation form!
FREE Student Dress Rehearsals
WATCH the magic unfold!
. . . are you a student? We invite any and all students to attend one of our designated Student Dress Rehearsals at the Tennessee Theatre for FREE. These rehearsals are overwhelming experiences of live full-length and fully staged performances. Riveting drama and passionate music will transport you to places you have never dreamed possible! Don’t speak Italian or French? Don’t worry! While we perform many of our operas in foreign languages, we also project English translations of all the action above the stage, so you won’t miss a moment. You don’t need to do anything but show up to the theater the evening of the scheduled rehearsal. Teachers, students and their families are welcome to attend. Bring your student I.D. and come watch the magic unfold!
2013-2014 Season Student Dress Rehearsal Schedule (Free for all students thanks to the generosity of Comcast; accompanying adults are $5 at the door). Enter Tennessee Theatre through Gay Street entrance beginning at 5:30pm. Open seating, concession is closed for dress rehearsals
The Tales of Hoffmann– Wednesday, October 23, 2013 @ 6:30 pm
The Elixir of Love – Wednesday, February 12, 2014 @ 6:30 pm
Norma – Wednesday, April 9, 2014 @ 6:30 pm
Voted the city’s “Best Festival”
One of the Southeast’s most alluring cultural attractions, Knoxville Opera’s Rossini Festival International Street Fair brings a taste of Europe to East Tennessee and celebrates the color, fun and excitement of opera and International culture.
The festival combines world class opera performances, art and craft exhibitions, wine tasting and a wide variety of other events with a vibrant International Street Fair.
Downtown Knoxville’s Gay Street is transformed from a busy thoroughfare to a colorful Italian festival with four stages featuring a range of entertainment options, an upscale Artisan’s Market, the smells and tastes of authentic Mediterranean foods and beverages and a special children’s area on Market Square with entertainment, fun and games.
This extraordinary event also presents a golden opportunity to attend one of our professional productions Knoxville Opera.